THERE IS A FORMAT CHANGE FOR THE TWO PERSON TEAMS ONLY. INSTEAD OF THE TRADITIONAL RELAY SYSTEM THE TWO PERSON TEAMS WILL NOW DO AS FOLLOWS:
1. both riders still start together from the grove for the first stage as per usual.
2. rider one then does (unassisted) all the way to the cymot half way point.
3. rider two does half-way point until the goanikontes check point.
4. both riders do the last 40km together from goanikontes to the finish at tiger reef.
5. the back-up team will be diverted from the C26 (about 21km after the first check point) due north (right turn) through private farmland onto
the C28. this stretch is about 45km. from there vehicles continue to the cymot half-way point just the same as all the solo back-ups are doing.
6. this detour is compulsory for all two men back up drivers as we want to reduce the amount of vehicles and subsequent dust for the riders.
7. a 4x4 vehicle is highly recommendable for the two men team back-ups as there are some loose and rutted sections. otherwise it is a
very good (and stunningly scenic) jeep track and gravel road.
the first rider will get food and drinks at kuiseb checkpoint courtesy of super spar. the same as is provided for the solo riders. the second rider will meet his/her backup at cymot half way and again at bloedkoppe and of course goanikontes checkpoints for support – as before.